Bearville Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

|Hunger Games Club|

+9
sandyverybeary3
Winterfun
Anita
servineallheart321
cyrus2hip594
AleciaAutumn10
MollyFlyer
Daize
HarryLove13
13 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

|Hunger Games Club| - Page 6 Empty Re: |Hunger Games Club|

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:08 am

That's something I was wondering about too. There probably are other people. And, if this in the future, it could be possible that landmasses may have changed. I think the highly advanced hunger games scientists must have wondered about what happened to life before them, or if there was any life before them. I'm happy she didn't provide information though. I think if she had added an explanation, I might have not liked it as much. Maybe it wouldn't be very plausible.

I haven't read Wither, but I doubt she would make it based upon that. And if US had bombed the others, wouldn't it still be US? Wouldn't they know their past? It would still be the 50 states.

Oh, and Harry, Cyrus answered the first question on the 8th page, just in case you missed it.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:48 am

Continental drift doesn't work all that fast; there wouldn't be a major change over the course of a few centuries -- and given that the level of technology isn't substantially greater than what it is now, a century at most when you take into account the need to rebuild society (which means the first Games would be 25 years from now). Think about it -- they haven't developed more efficient ways of raising food, or of mining coal (seriously -- they still have everyone go in and mine it by hand with pickaxes rather than using machines), and aside from the odd medical advancement, forcefield or hovercraft, the tech level is equal to what we have now.

Actually, there's other things that don't work. It's implied that one district is providing all the power to the entire country, which is distinctly impractical and an odd move.

It's likely that some do know what came before them, but they don't let the information get out -- no reason for people in the districts to learn of things the way they were before; it'd give them the idea that things could be different than the lives they're told to lead.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:18 am

I guess it might not. But it's possible they were wiped out by natural disasters. Or "the world ending". If the world was hit by a solar flare, it would probably change the landmasses in a way. They have advanced medical technology, as well as the hovercraft as you said. I don't think they care for mining, considering they aren't doing the work for themselves. The scientists in the Capitol don't have to do any mining at all, so why would they develop things to help the other districts? I'm pretty sure if they can create hovercrafts, they can invent a way to improve mining. I doubt President Snow wouldn't tell them to invent something to help people they treat like dirt.

I guess we would know if it was told from the POV of maybe President Snow, or a citizen of the Capitol.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:52 am

I also mentioned the medical advances, but even that isn't too advanced -- techniques are being developed to regrow skin on burn victims even now, and the advances are pretty minor when you realize things in the Hunger Games should be to the technology of today what today's tech is to people from 1911.

Advances in mining technology aren't for the workers, they're for the people using the end product -- a machine mines faster, and would put most of the people in the district out of work. More people would starve to death in District 12, but the Capitol would get more coal.

Also, solar flares wouldn't affect continental drift. there .. . really isnt' any reason to think the continents are in a different position at all.

It's odd how vague things are about what exactly happened; they didn't burn the sky, the machines didn't take over, animals in the wilderness are living wild and free without radiation sickness. The obvious potential causes are eliminated, so you have to wonder what exactly caused it to reach this point.

Maybe a plague that wiped out 95% of the population, affecting only humans. The survivors would have enough tech to establish the basic infrastructure of the districts, intiitally to ensure everyone could provide food and clothing and fuel to everyone else and then to keep the population in check.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryLove13 Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:09 pm

MollyFlyer wrote:I'm sorry, I just find it unlikely that EVERY country was wiped out. I mean, the thing about nuking another country? The radiation gets into the atmosphere. Set off enough of them, and you'd get wiped out, too, just slower.
They are, males die at age 25 and females die at age 20.
HarryLove13
HarryLove13
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryLove13 Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:12 pm

AleciaAutumn10 wrote:That's something I was wondering about too. There probably are other people. And, if this in the future, it could be possible that landmasses may have changed. I think the highly advanced hunger games scientists must have wondered about what happened to life before them, or if there was any life before them. I'm happy she didn't provide information though. I think if she had added an explanation, I might have not liked it as much. Maybe it wouldn't be very plausible.

I haven't read Wither, but I doubt she would make it based upon that. And if US had bombed the others, wouldn't it still be US? Wouldn't they know their past? It would still be the 50 states.

Oh, and Harry, Cyrus answered the first question on the 8th page, just in case you missed it.
The book Wither is very new, the Hunger Games wouldn't be based in it, I was just talking about the theory.

That question was invalid, I responded to it already, it doesn't follow the rules so I am still waiting for someone to answer it.
HarryLove13
HarryLove13
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryLove13 Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:20 pm

MollyFlyer wrote:I also mentioned the medical advances, but even that isn't too advanced -- techniques are being developed to regrow skin on burn victims even now, and the advances are pretty minor when you realize things in the Hunger Games should be to the technology of today what today's tech is to people from 1911.

Advances in mining technology aren't for the workers, they're for the people using the end product -- a machine mines faster, and would put most of the people in the district out of work. More people would starve to death in District 12, but the Capitol would get more coal.

Also, solar flares wouldn't affect continental drift. there .. . really isnt' any reason to think the continents are in a different position at all.

It's odd how vague things are about what exactly happened; they didn't burn the sky, the machines didn't take over, animals in the wilderness are living wild and free without radiation sickness. The obvious potential causes are eliminated, so you have to wonder what exactly caused it to reach this point.

Maybe a plague that wiped out 95% of the population, affecting only humans. The survivors would have enough tech to establish the basic infrastructure of the districts, intiitally to ensure everyone could provide food and clothing and fuel to everyone else and then to keep the population in check.
Does the Capitol really need what they are mining? Or is it just a way to keep them controlled? Maybe they don't want them to get new technology because they don't want to expose them to more technological advances since it could give them ideas and that could lead to war.

I like your plague idea....that could definitely have been it.

Also what if the US happened to make a lot of enemies? Or started ignoring other countries, so much that everyone just decided to ignore us? And their could be no communication between...Or the other countries could be even more underdeveloped than the future US. Maybe they even learned to forget that they existed and still haven't created the technology to re-discover them? I really doubt it because the Capitol seems to be really advanced so they would have the materials necessary to do it but still...
HarryLove13
HarryLove13
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Oh sorry, I thought you had missed it. I'll answer it; just so we can get new trivia.

1 point-
Why are cannons shot during the Games?

To symbolize the death of a tribute. Cannons are also shot at the end of the day to show how many deaths there were.

I agree, I really like the plague idea. But a plague that got to humans but not animals? Kinda unlikely. Not only are there medical advances, but advances in breeding, I guess you can say? Making tracker jackers and such. The Mutts in the first games. From the way she described it, it seemed pretty advanced. They might use the coal to fuel their trains, but I'm not completely sure about that.

If they did want them to work faster, and harder, they would probably provide better food. And better conditions. Mining accidents seemed kinda frequent.

If enough people could survive to build the districts, they would probably know about other things too. Like the people. It's not like technology, cultures, news channels would stop. Telephones? They would try to communicate. The people of Panem didn't even try to spread, or discover new land. Even Europe had overcome with curiosity sooner or later.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:50 pm

HarryLove13 wrote:
MollyFlyer wrote:I'm sorry, I just find it unlikely that EVERY country was wiped out. I mean, the thing about nuking another country? The radiation gets into the atmosphere. Set off enough of them, and you'd get wiped out, too, just slower.
They are, males die at age 25 and females die at age 20.

In Hunger Games? I'm talking about the fact that we never hear from, say, Canada or Mexico, find out what they're up to. Sure, the focus is on Katniss, but you'd think some indication would turn up here and there.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Also, it's not unusual for plagues to only affect one species. When the Black Plague ravaged Europe in the dark ages, the rats thrived.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryLove13 Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:34 pm

AleciaAutumn10 wrote:Oh sorry, I thought you had missed it. I'll answer it; just so we can get new trivia.

1 point-
Why are cannons shot during the Games?

To symbolize the death of a tribute. Cannons are also shot at the end of the day to show how many deaths there were.

I agree, I really like the plague idea. But a plague that got to humans but not animals? Kinda unlikely. Not only are there medical advances, but advances in breeding, I guess you can say? Making tracker jackers and such. The Mutts in the first games. From the way she described it, it seemed pretty advanced. They might use the coal to fuel their trains, but I'm not completely sure about that.

If they did want them to work faster, and harder, they would probably provide better food. And better conditions. Mining accidents seemed kinda frequent.

If enough people could survive to build the districts, they would probably know about other things too. Like the people. It's not like technology, cultures, news channels would stop. Telephones? They would try to communicate. The people of Panem didn't even try to spread, or discover new land. Even Europe had overcome with curiosity sooner or later.
1pt for D3.
Maybe the animals did get the plague, some of them would have survived obviously, and then those would reproduce, they wouldn't be as abundant but they would still exist.
HarryLove13
HarryLove13
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by HarryLove13 Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:45 pm

New trivia and word jumbles added!
HarryLove13
HarryLove13
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:58 am

10 points-
Unscramble this name.
ATEPE

Peeta.

They don't really mention a lot of animals. Their's Buttercup and Lady, along with squirrels and I think deer that they mention? And some kind of turkey. Not to mention the Mutts.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:48 am

10 points-
What did the Gamemakers do to Katniss when things got too 'boring'?

Set the area on fire, setting off explosive charges around her.

And again, not all plagues affect animals. There's also mention of wolves out in the wild, and they raise fish and livestock to feed the districts. Remember Katniss enjoying the lamb stew?
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:09 am

True, and they did hunt the occasional rabbit. Theres no mention of big animals though, like elephants or lions. I don't think they mention cows either. Or dogs.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:18 am

Actually, they do mention cows -- District 10 raises cattle, it was specified. And Katniss hunted the occasional wild dog, sold for Greasy Sae's stews.

There'd be no reason to mention elephants or lions -- neither live naturally in North America, and Panem doesn't have zoos that we've heard of.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:38 am

Oh yeah. Sorry, don't really remember all of it, cause I read the books like a year ago. I guess your right, there isn't really any reason they would be there. But they don't mention birds either, except for a hummingbird and the mutts they created.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:31 am

There's birds all around -- the mockingbirds the jabberjays mated with, for example.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:57 am

That's the only bird they mention, the mockingbird.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 am

Nope -- Katniss takes out a few birds while hunting. The Groosling she shared with Rue, duck eggs gathered by the lake, wild turkeys(including the one that got Gale whipped), geese, and in the Capitol there's chicken, pheasant, partridge, and dove.

As for large animals you could reasonaby expect to see in the region, they do have deer.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:18 am

5 points-
Unscramble this name.
SHHTRE

Thresh.

Oh yeaaah. I guess your right. They don't really mention any rodents. I don't think I recall any rats?
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Squirrels are rodents, and it was mentioned that Buttercup hunts for mice.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:32 pm

1 point-
Where does Katniss sleep when in the arena? (When alone.)

In a tree, strapped to a branch by her belt.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 am

Squirrels are counted as rodents? Heh. And for the second trivia question, do you refer to the second book? I don't remember wire in the first one.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Yes, squirrels are rodents -- check the dictionary if you don't believe me.

My point being: Not all diseases cross the species barrier. There's no reason to assume that the one that (theoretically) reduced the population was an excpetion.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next