Bearville Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version)

2 posters

Go down

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) Empty How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version)

Post by Bear Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:43 pm

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version)

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) O5rgn7

This tutorial will teach you how to stroke around objects in Gimp, this is relatively easy, I guess the hardest part would just to be using the Gaussian Blur tool, but then again that part is not that hard.

1. Upload your picture onto Gimp.
This will be mine, feel free to use.
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 2jezmz7

2. Duplicate your later by right-clicking your current layer that you want to stroke and click "duplicate layer". Drag the layer you just duplicated to the bottom, beneath the original layer you uploaded.

3. Take your magic wand tool, which looks like this, How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 11kjubm, and on your duplicated layer click around the object (so like the background) so the background is highlighted with the magic wand.
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 20zux4m

4. Then go to the Select Tab then to Invert, so now your object is only selected, not the background.
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 33w1gnd

5. Choose a colour right now in your colour palette and that will be the colour of your stroke around the object. Now, go to the tab Edit, then to Stroke Selection.
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) V5d9ig

6. You'll get a pop-up, you can pick whichever option you want but I want to pick "Stroke line" because it is easier that way. You can choose pattern if you want the stroke to be a pattern, and the line width is the thickness of the stroke.

Pick a couple pixels bigger than you want the original stroke, when you stroke w/o duplicating a layer and dragging it to the bottom, the stroke goes inside and covers the pixels of the objects. Plus when we blur it, it will shrink a little.
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) Vq6ycn

7. Deselect the magic wand by taking the Rectangle Marquee tool and clicking it on the canvas (the part that is not selected by the magic wand)
It now looks like this:
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 8vw0a1

8. The stroke looks sharp and not smooth, so we are going to blur it. Still selecting the duplicated layer, go to Filters, then go to Blur, then Gaussian Blur.

9. You'll get a pop-up, pick whatever number you think looks best for the stroke to make it smooth, don't go too much or it will look more like drop shadow, use the "Preview" to help you. I will choose 2.
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 23vz3n5

Click okay, and save your image, PNG is a good file type to save.
And after step 9, you're finished! This is my final result.
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) Eqc710
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) Empty Re: How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version)

Post by emmie Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:28 am

thanks bear!! =D i'll do that
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) Empty Re: How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version)

Post by Bear Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 am

lollipops511 wrote:thanks bear!! =D i'll do that

Great! How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 465488 Sorry so many steps D: You don't have to blur if you dont want to, only if it looks too sharp.
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by emmie Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:36 pm

okay here are my resaults!
How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) Dsadaa10
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

lollipops511 wrote:okay here are my resaults!

Looks great! How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 465488 If you want the edges of the stroke to be smooth use the Gaussian Blur effect:)
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by emmie Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 am

Bear wrote:

Looks great! How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 465488 If you want the edges of the stroke to be smooth use the Gaussian Blur effect:)

I tried but it blocked it for me when i was done stroking do you want me to take a screen shot to show you?
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:19 am

lollipops511 wrote:
Bear wrote:

I tried but it blocked it for me when i was done stroking do you want me to take a screen shot to show you?

Sure, that would be great How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 465488
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by emmie Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:12 am

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) Rewwhg10
here! How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 465488
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:48 am

Hm, that is quite odd. For me it works, look at the photo below. When you're trying to add gaussian blur, are you selecting the layer that has the stroke on it?

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 2uhs8xj
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by emmie Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 am

Bear wrote:Hm, that is quite odd. For me it works, look at the photo below. When you're trying to add gaussian blur, are you selecting the layer that has the stroke on it?

How to Stroke around Objects: Gimp (any version) 2uhs8xj

I think so yeah, and how do i get it off the layer??
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 am

Pardon? Open up your layers palette by going to Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Layers. Or just type CTRL + L on your keyboard! Make sure you're selecting the layer when you add the Gaussian blur. You select the layer by simply clicking it in the Layers window
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down