Bearville Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version)

4 posters

Go down

How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Empty How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version)

Post by Bear Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 am

How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 4p7qg

This tutorial will teach you how to make a beam on Gimp, for any program since it basically has the same features. I've decided to make a separate tutorial for Gimp for beams.

1. Open a photo onto Gimp. If you have it saved already, go to File>Open then get your photo. If it's copied from the Internet, and you need to paste it, go to File>Create>From Clipboard then paste it onto your clipboard.
Here is my image, feel free to use it as an example:
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 28cgaq9

2. Make a new layer! (by typing on your keyboard, CTRL+Shift+N or Layer>New Layer. At the layer file type option, choose "transparent".

3. Make sure your settings are like mine in the picture below. Choose whatever colour you want the beam to be beforehand.
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 96di53

Now, select your "Paths" tool (looks like this: How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Detiyx) and make curved lines around your object. Click HERE if you don't know how to make curved lines, there is a very detailed and informative tutorial there.

4. Once you're done making the beam with the path tool, it should look like this (you can do the curves etc however you want, be creative!):
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 2aalrox

5. Now it's time to stroke our path. Click the "Stroke Path" button in your toolbox.
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Dzwnc2

6. Now you will get a popup for the Stroke Path options. You either choose both options. If you want to the beam to be thicker & more visible at middle of the beam and thinner & fading at the ends, I recommend stroking it with the paintbrush option. If you don't want that, then I just recommend "Stroke Line", also if you want to choose how thick/thin the whole beam will be.
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 27ww37c

For the paintbrush option, your beam will be as thick as what your brush for the paintbrush is at the moment. If you want to change paintbrush thickness before you're about to stroke the path, (make sure you have your paths window up by going to Window>Dockable Docks>Paths. Now after that go to your paintbrush, choose thickness of brush, then go back to your pen tool. Through all of this, if your beam disappears just go to the paths window and click to the left of the path tool layer, the eye so it shows.

Now, it might not let you "Stroke Path" once you're at the pen tool so click where your path is to select it on the canvas then choose options... tah-dah!
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 2u7cfmp

7. Then click Stroke at the bottom of your popup once you've chosen your options. If you chose stroke line it will look like this (yours may be thinner/thicker than mine depending on settings you chose):
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Sx2ddf

If you chose Stroke w/ Paint tool it should look like this (yours may bethinner/thicker depending on settings you choose). Mine is EMULATED BRUSH DYNAMICS to show you what it looks like. (you may want to drag the ends of your path for this out more so its more visible at the ends):
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 35jiic0

8. Go back to your paths window, and right click the path you have, then click "Delete Path".
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) F01dv4

And after that, once you've decorated the beam etc, and you can use the lasso or eraser tool to delete beams you don't want, you can alternate etc, you're finished. I will show you my finished product later, but right now my tinypic started to stop working

Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Empty Re: How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version)

Post by emmie Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:07 am

here is mine! i did mine a little differently i added a glow to it How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Rewww10
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Empty Re: How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version)

Post by Bear Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:49 am

They both look really good! And I love the creativity.

cheers
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by emmie Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:09 am

thanks! and if you want the glowing part; just go to filters> neon right after you add the beam and then you can selet the glowing colors How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488 and then you delete the layer you had and then viola!
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:30 am

lollipops511 wrote:thanks! and if you want the glowing part; just go to filters> neon right after you add the beam and then you can selet the glowing colors How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488 and then you delete the layer you had and then viola!

That's a good tip! Maybe I'll make another tutorial on techniques you can stylize beams, or you can if you want How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by emmie Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:48 am

Bear wrote:
lollipops511 wrote:thanks! and if you want the glowing part; just go to filters> neon right after you add the beam and then you can selet the glowing colors How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488 and then you delete the layer you had and then viola!

That's a good tip! Maybe I'll make another tutorial on techniques you can stylize beams, or you can if you want How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488

thanks! and yes i would love to!! How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488 and yes i'll try to add a tutorial as soon as i find time!
emmie
emmie
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexaAngel180 Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:57 pm

great guide bear! How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488
AlexaAngel180
AlexaAngel180
Novice Bear
Novice Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:27 am

AlexaAngel180 wrote:great guide bear! How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488

Thank you! However, you are not a member of BGF Graphic Design Club.

Feel free to join How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) 465488
http://www.bearvilleguide.com/t55012-apply-here-to-be-a-member-of-bgf-graphics-design-club
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 am

It was my first graphic with gimp, thanks so much for helping! [:
How to Make a Beam: Gimp (any version) Nicee10
Anita
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down