Bearville Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Quest of Arcadia

+7
cyrus2hip594
Anita
JLBABV
AleciaAutumn10
Daize
MollyFlyer
Bear
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 Empty Re: The Quest of Arcadia

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm

OOC : Sorry if some information is wrong. I have no idea about medieval times and stuff.

I woke early and went in for a bath. I thought it through. Would my parents approve of this? Definitely not. Theres no way I could tell them. I got out and dressed in my favorite dress. Lavender with white lace. I left my hair open and pinned up the little bit that hung out and always got in my eyes. I packed a few safety pins, bandages, and my soap. Who knows where I would have to go. I reread through my note one more time and left it on my table.

Just then, one of my servants came in. Alice. She was the sweetest of them all, and wasn't scared of getting dirty. She was carrying a tray full of food. I had told her about leaving, just so my parents wouldn't think I had been abducted or something. She gave me some food and I ate to my fullest. I waved her goodbye and climbed out the window. I headed to the King's palace. My adventure was just about to begin.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 am

OOC: I heard Molly talking about hours of research for information about Medieval Times. It doesn't have to be right on, but it has to be somewhat realistic, like I said not exactly how it was, but partially. It's kind of obvious that they wouldn't whip out am iPhone and call somebody lol.
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 am

I stood with the rest of the crowd, in front of the stage awaiting for what the King would say about who was picked for the Quest. I waited anxiously until the King cleared his throat.

"Genevieve Aragon." The King had said.

The words sunk in, I stood there in shock for a few seconds, or a minute or two, I was in a trance, I thought I had been dreaming... until I finally noticed all the pairs of eyes on me, waiting, waiting for me to go up on stage. They were moving to the side creating a path so I could walk on stage.

I nervously climbed up on stage. About 10 people were chosen for the quest, after being led off stage I quickly got my horse and rode off to the manor before anyone spotted me here, or noticed I was missing at home.

The King said to keep this to ourselves, not let of the townspeople know... but including our families? If I just left home at the crack of dawn gathering my belongings they would be quite worried. But knowing our town, gossip spread like wildfires.

My family forbade me to step up to the challenge, even to come to see who'd the King announce... but despite that, I crossed their wishes.

The sun was going down, and I finally reached the manor, it was dark now. I quickly sneaked into the manor, minding my own business; I did not want to get caught. Until, passing the Great Hall, I heard two voices whispering.

Though I was "minding my own business" I did not see a reason why one would have to whisper, the manor was quite large and spacious, there were plenty of rooms and it was rather late, the house was extremely quiet; most had gone to bed.

I couldn't help myself but to eavesdrop.

"The townspeople are saying there's all kinds of things in the town, there's wizards and witchcraft, I cannot stand here and do nothing about it. I've heard folk legends and rumours about it, 'nd things about witchcraft in other towns. We have to do something about it! These healers, potion makers, and witches and things; they're no good! I want them out," the man threw his fist on the table lightly.

A second voice spoke, "The healers are just like doctors, doing things for the good and healing others, don't make this all into a big deal, you're speaking non-sense."

"I will not stand here and be spoken that way too, you mustn't speak that way! They're abnormal, they use their witchcraft to heal others, but they curse you instead of actually healing you, I tell you," the first man said forcefully, "Just pass the message on, we don't want any townspeople to get hurt, or exposed to this, or in over their heads. I expect this will be kept to yourself."

The second man accepted and nodded reluctantly, their conversation was finished and they were about to leave the Great Hall. I quickly left and proceeded to my chamber. I did hear about witchcraft before, but it doesn't sound so convincing.

I was quite scared, if my family found out I was a healer... hm. I didn't use "witchcraft" to heal others, just I made a cure, some herbs and potions and things combined etc, not "witchcraft". I packed my belongings and my mind cleared, I drifted off to sleep.
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am

[OOC: Don't mind me, I just have a habit of diving into research rather deeply. Consider it to be ten minutes of research for the game and a few hours getting distracted by other interesting things.

Being a servant for the rich was one of the few jobs that a woman could actually take at the time and generally seemed to be a good option -- they weren't permitted in guilds, so career options were strictly limited if you had a goal other than 'Housewife', 'Weaver', or 'Farmhand'.

My own choice to give Millicent a copy of The Faerie Queene was a bit off -- it didn't come out until the late 16th century. The Canterbury Tales would be a bit more accurate, but I felt that being able to mention the story of Britomart would appeal to this group.

Taking a bath in a tub -- especially if you didn't have to share the water -- was a distinct sign of luxury, as it was expensive to get enough firewood to heat that much water. Public bath houses were acceptable enough, and reasonably common in the cities.

Schools as we know them didn't exist -- girls were only allowed to be taught by their mothers, unless they were in a convent or nobility (and for nobles the lessons would be more aimed at household duties, good manners, and music).

The concept of a woman learning to use a bow or sword is, oddly, more plausible for the era.

The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 Walpur10 ]
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Millicent spiked a beeswax candle in her brass lantern, lit it, and set out into the predawn streets. A chill wind left her pulling her cloak tight, but the lantern kept the candle burning bright. Only a few stray dogs were running about the streets at this hour, but it wouldn't be long before that changed. She stepped quickly, navigating the streets leading to the stage where they were to meet the king. With the request for secrecy, it was likely the quest was intended to be off before the city had awoken.

Rather than the long-awaited quest, it was her siblings' words that were the center of her thoughts as she walked. She knew she was fairly old to still be single. She wasn't of a mind to join a convent, as her dear aunt had, but neither did she wish to marry . . . but it was inevitable. One quest, one proper adventure, and she'd have memories to hold on to, memories to keep dear long after her parents had found someone suitable for her to exchange vows with.

Finally, the lantern's soft glow fell on the stage where they were to meet. She turned her thoughts to more pleasant matters, and caressed the handle of her sword.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by JLBABV Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 am

I awoke while it was still dark. Looking around from the tree I had climbed into for the night, I waited for my eyes to adjust. The king wanted us to meet inside the city, but i was unable to go. I realised that I'd really gotten myself into a predicament. If they saw me in my tunic they would realise who i was, or what i was. I decided I would wait until we were on the quest before I revealed my secret, I would just avoid touching any of the girls and technically I wouldn't be breaking the law. I keep my face covered when in town so they dont look upon my face, also illegal if i did not do this. Once outside the city though, I can be myself, Amalric! I pulled on my only pair of leather boots and covered them with the gown. I found the wig and placed it over my jagged hair. Courage appeared and I patted his neck as I walked past him to get my hooded cloak, the lining of which is the embroidered cloth i was found in. I pulled the hood over my head and went to pack my necessities, my bow, several arrows, the tunic and linen trousers, and 5 gold coins. I also attached my sheath to the leather belt which circled my waist, and slid a sword into it. I wasn't as skilled at the sword as I was with archery but i could easily defend myself. I took hold of the rope which made makeshift reins on Courage, an outcast due to his wild spirit, indeed he and i were alike. I woke Father with a kiss on his cheek and told him i was going. He touched my cheek with the back of his hand. "My dearest Melisende!" He said with a love only a father shows. "Stay safe!" He whispered, embracing me. "I love you, papa!" I whispered back, a tear escaping and trickling down to my chin. I wiped it away. "Grown boys don't weep!" I said with a quiver in my tone. Father laughed. "That's my Amalric!" I embraced him again then i mounted Courage and we went to meet with the others.
JLBABV
JLBABV
Official Photographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddy Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 am

wow! Very good story The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 143839 You did amazingly well!!!
Eddy
Eddy
Novice Bear
Novice Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by LoraDazzle4 Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 am

I love it! You should continue it The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 Icon_razz I'm impacient about what's gonna happen :L You guys really have skills for this! The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 143839
LoraDazzle4
LoraDazzle4
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am

[OOC: Yay! Good to see people other than me getting back into it. Here's hoping we get properly started again!]
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by JLBABV Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:58 am

[OOC: Yeah The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 465488 i might add to mine... i'm writing a story based on my character, Amalric The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 465488]
JLBABV
JLBABV
Official Photographer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 am

By the stage, Millicent waited. The pure collectors had already been through, so only the warm, sweet scent of beeswax reached her nose. She shifted the strap of her satchel, so it rested more securely over her shoulder. Looking around for any sign of the other questers, she began to worry -- was she the first there, or had the others already arrived and departed?
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:27 pm

I walked on, glad I had worn my most comfortable dress. It was comfortable yet elegant. A soft lavender with white outlines and patterns. I had sown it myself. O top of it I wore a coat, that I buttoned up. It was a dark brown. I saw the stage in the distance, and quickened my pace, ecstatic. I was finally going to prove myself. I just wished we would leave before my parents realized I was missing, or else I would never go. The stage now rose above me, inviting me in. There I saw another girl, who also seemed like she was going on the quest. I smiled at her, and stood beside her, ready to wait.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:55 am

Millicent heard the footsteps approaching before she saw who it was, and her free hand went to the hilt of her sword out of reflex. She relaxed when the person came into view -- she recognized her as one of the others that had been on stage the previous day. She nodded politely.

"Greetings. I am Millicent Perrault."
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 am

"Paige Griffin," I introduced, "how long have you been standing here?"
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 am

"But a few minutes. We're out of range of the clock tower, so I cannot say for certain, but the sky is still dark -- we're not close enough to dawn to be late for the meeting."

She examined the other girl in the light of her lantern. Millicent knew that the quest had sought out those of every class, and could tell the other girl was quite well-to-do. The fine clothing, the lack of a lantern of her own -- she'd likely seen no reason to bring one, with oil lamps in the more affluent areas of town providing enough light to navigate the streets.

Millicent touched her emerald pin to reassure herself; her own family was well-to-do enough that she had no reason to bow to the other girl. And if she'd wished to be treated in accordance to her title, whatever that might be, she would have announced it first.

"I have to say, I'm curious. We've been told we're going on a quest, but not where we're going or what we're questing for."

[OOC: You mentioned packing a suitcase, but not bringing it with you -- did Paige forget it? (and just fyi, the safety pin hasn't been invented yet)]
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:14 am

OOC : Oh okay. Just help me out with all that medieval stuff, I have no idea about it The Quest of Arcadia - Page 2 Icon_razz Yes, she has her suitcase, that she is dragging along with her.

Spoiler:

Do you mind if I add something to this? I don't want to make her completely helpless, so is it okay if I just add this little bit of info? I've made changes in the spoiler.

BIC : "I'm curious too. I wonder what the quest would be like. I just hope it doesn't pit us against each other. I'm definitely not experienced in that field," I said to her, instantly regretting it. If we were pitted against each other, she now knew my weakness, "But, uh, I've brought a weapon with me, just in case," I told her. "What do your parents do?" I asked her, wanting to change the subject.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:35 am

[OOC: Looks fine! From my research, it was more acceptable for a woman to have learned to use a bow and arrow or sword than it was for her to wear trousers. Which might pose problems for Almaric, but means the rest of us won't be flailing helplessly. Better to not have her be too good with the bow, at least at first, though -- after all, it takes practice to build the strength to pull back the high-tension bow string and aim with any accuracy.]

"I think not. It's a quest; we're more likely to be seeking something. Maybe there's someone to be resecued. We'll likely fare better if we work together."

At the mention of the weapon, Millicent nodded approvingly. "Even if we never see battle, it's good to be able to defend ourselves from wild beasts."

She smiled at the thought of her parents. "My father owns and runs a fine store, and my mother sees to the books when she's not minding my younger siblings."
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 pm

OOC : Yeah, she doesn't have any experience with a bow and arrow, but she's always wanted to learn how to use it.

BIC : "Rescue? Sounds more of a man's job. Though, that might just be my thinking. Your right, we're probably going to go on a quest for something. That's nice. You have siblings? I'm an only child. It must be great," I said. I've always wanted a younger sister, who I could look after and help with her problems. But my parents had only wanted one child. I sighed at the remembrance of my parents. I hoped they would be okay.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Millicent shrugged. "If men are more suitable for the task ahead, they likely would have been chosen. And if you don't think it's a task you can face . . . then why are you here?"

She nodded. "I've two older brothers and two younger sisters. My mother is quite fortunate to still live. My eldest brother works for the city guard, and married this past spring, and the younger is working with my father to learn to run the store."
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:38 am

"I guess you are right, I should face up to it," I said, nodding my head. "Four other siblings? Your mother really is lucky to be alive," I answered, astonished. Millicent was pretty lucky. "My father is an advisor to the King. Our ancestors have been advisors for as long as I can remember. I wonder what's going to happen now, since I'm a girl. Which is why I came on this quest, I want to prove myself," I explained to her.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:54 am

Millicent smiled. "I've learned to use a sword, but can hardly make a career of it. I wished to join the quest to be able to make proper use of my skills, at least once, before I marry and have to set it aside."

She asked, suddenly curious "Have you a betrothed?"
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:51 am

"I've always wanted to try archery, I have a very steady hand. I've never been able to try. My father doesn't really believe in training girls. I bought my bow and arrows very secretly. If I was caught with it in my house, I would get in a lot of trouble," I said to her. Her question kind of startled me. "Yes, I am betrothed," I said to her, kind of embarrassed.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 pm

"I know that I am fortunate that my father supported my studies. When I told him I wished to learn to use a blade, he simply gave me my brothers' old practice sword and told me to join their lessons." She smiled in memory of the family duels. Her brothers had only gone easy on her at first.

"You are fortunate, then. My father has yet to find a suitable husband for me, and I'm rather old to still be single."
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:37 pm

"You must have a very understanding father," I said to her, smiling.
"I feel too young to be betrothed. I've met him before, just once," I told her.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:59 pm

"Some marry as young as twelve, and without meeting even once. But that is usually just for a rich enough dowry. My father says he wishes to wait for someone I might actually like. I am blessed to have him."

She asked the other girl, "What is your betrothed like?"
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next