Bearville Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle

+4
JeannaBearFun
CynthiaBearriliant1
MamieBanana
BasketballLuver
8 posters

Go down

A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle Empty A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle

Post by BasketballLuver Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Okay so maybe you don’t like historical or non-fiction books, but you must like science right? Well, A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle is a science fantasy that is the winner of the 1923 Newbery Medal. Some of us just don’t really like this book because you don’t like a fantasy, but those of you who just relish a nice odd book then this one is just right for you.

“Out of this wild night, a strange visitor comes to the Murry house and beckons Meg, her brother Charles Wallace, and their friend Calvin O’Keefe on a most dangerous and extraordinary adventure-one that will threaten their lives and our universe. “

A Wrinkle in Time is a story about two brothers and sister, Meg and Charles Wallace Murry, who rescue their father from captivity on the planet of Camazotz—and in the process save the universe from the clutches of an evil power called IT. They are aided in their struggles by Calvin O'Keefe, a friend who travels with them across the universe.

The novel introduces an entertaining cast of characters, many of whom exist only in the realm of the imagination.
Odd as some of these characters are— the three strange old ladies, Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which, who guide the children.

Composed with mathematical and scientific information along with awkward names, this novel is not only unusual, but has a creative twist to it that only Madeleine L’Engle could pull off. As surprising as it sounds, even this book has a little bit of romance added to it. Barely noticeable, but you find yourself smiling here and there. The name fits the book so well that you just happen to wonder how could any author come up with a more unique or better name then this one? =]
BasketballLuver
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle Empty Re: A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle

Post by MamieBanana Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:25 am

This is one of my all-time favorites.
I have read it many times over the years including reading it outloud with my 2nd grade students when I was student-teaching.
My impressions of it have changed with age; but I will always remember how it got me hooked on sci-fi/fantasy when I was about 7 years old!
MamieBanana
MamieBanana
Chief Officer

Back to top Go down

A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle Empty Re: A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle

Post by CynthiaBearriliant1 Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:24 pm

I used to love this book! I still go back&& read it once in a while since I have it.
Actually, I just rewrote the ending of this book just for fun a while back.
I read it about in second or third grade I'm guessing, enjoying it very much.
Charles' character, was stubborn I remember, not a good thing,
but I connected to him most, him being my favorite character.
Great job summarizing the book, but not giving away too much, it's just right!
And yes, I do love science. (:
CynthiaBearriliant1
CynthiaBearriliant1
Friendly Bear
Friendly Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by BasketballLuver Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:04 pm

MamieBanana wrote:This is one of my all-time favorites.
I have read it many times over the years including reading it outloud with my 2nd grade students when I was student-teaching.
My impressions of it have changed with age; but I will always remember how it got me hooked on sci-fi/fantasy when I was about 7 years old!

Yes, I do agree with how this book does change your perspective and outlook. I am pretty sure I would say the same if I re-read it. I never bothered to read it again seeing as I wasn't a very big fan of this book when I read it last year with my classmates. =]
BasketballLuver
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by BasketballLuver Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:08 pm

CynthiaBearriliant1 wrote:
I used to love this book! I still go back&& read it once in a while since I have it.
Actually, I just rewrote the ending of this book just for fun a while back.
I read it about in second or third grade I'm guessing, enjoying it very much.
Charles' character, was stubborn I remember, not a good thing,
but I connected to him most, him being my favorite character.
Great job summarizing the book, but not giving away too much, it's just right!
And yes, I do love science. (:

I agree. Charles' character was very stubborn, but he was also very intelligent for his age. His skills and knowledge did help a great deal on the trip. Rewriting the ending sounds like a whole lot of fun. The one thing I admired the most about this book was the usage of figurative language, magic threes, and basically all the literary skills that help you draw a picture. I don't think I have read a book that has focused very well on the setting and image as the author of Wrinkle in Time did. Mostly because this is focused on your imagination, the author indeed did a beautiful job. =]
BasketballLuver
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by JeannaBearFun Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:32 am

Oooh, I could do this book for a book report! XD Thanks for sharing. A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle 143839
JeannaBearFun
JeannaBearFun
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by BasketballLuver Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:56 am

JeannaBearFun wrote:Oooh, I could do this book for a book report! XD Thanks for sharing. A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle 143839

I know I have a couple of book reports I have to do before Monday when they are due.l Too bad I can't do it on this book since I did it the year before the last one. =]
BasketballLuver
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Rain~ Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:09 am

I LOVE this book. I have read it about 10 times, each time being better than the last. I have been meaning to watch the classical movie!
~Rain~
~Rain~
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by sammicat1211 Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 am

I read the series when I was about 11. I loved it A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle 465488
sammicat1211
sammicat1211
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by BasketballLuver Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Remi11 wrote:I LOVE this book. I have read it about 10 times, each time being better than the last. I have been meaning to watch the classical movie!

It is true. Even with the same words, when you re-read it, you grow a better understanding and can grow a better visual because you are better able to capture the details you missed before. I am glad to see you have read it so many times! =]
BasketballLuver
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by BasketballLuver Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 pm

sammicat1211 wrote:I read the series when I was about 11. I loved it A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle 465488

Oh! I totally forgot there is a series. You are right about that one. Thanks to you. I just might be reading the rest of them! =]
BasketballLuver
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by BriannaBallet Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 am

For some reason, I didn't enjoy that book.
BriannaBallet
BriannaBallet
Admin Challenge Champ
Admin Challenge Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by BasketballLuver Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:28 pm

BriannaBallet wrote:For some reason, I didn't enjoy that book.

No worries. I wasn't a big fan of this book either, but the thing is, writing a historical fiction book is very complicated especially when it comes to keeping the reader entertained. I wasn't very anxious to read this book, but I did understand that it must have took the author so long to be composed, that I should accept the information it gave. =]

(I am sorry for all the quotes. This is the first forum I have been to with multi-quotes, so I will use that from now on. )
BasketballLuver
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by BriannalovesBABV Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:53 am

Ah! I am reading this book in my Lit. Circles/ Book club. I LOVE it so far!
BriannalovesBABV
BriannalovesBABV
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by sammicat1211 Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:05 pm

BasketballLuver wrote:
sammicat1211 wrote:I read the series when I was about 11. I loved it A Wrinkle in Time by Madelene L’engle 465488

Oh! I totally forgot there is a series. You are right about that one. Thanks to you. I just might be reading the rest of them! =]

oh yay! glad I could be of service bounce
sammicat1211
sammicat1211
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down