Bearville Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Quest of Arcadia

+7
cyrus2hip594
Anita
JLBABV
AleciaAutumn10
Daize
MollyFlyer
Bear
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Quest of Arcadia Empty The Quest of Arcadia

Post by Bear Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:09 am

The Quest of Arcadia

*This roleplay is a collaboration between Bear and Cheer*

You live in the kingdom of Arcadia, in medieval times (kingdoms, forests, rivers, mountains, villages, etc). Everyone in Arcadia is called to Town Square for an announcemet:

Hear ye, hear ye,
The royal family, Arcadia, have a quest for all ye' adventurists our there who want a challenge. Riches and fortunes and a great experience are guaranteed for all those who want to step up for thee' voyage.
Hope to see you there!

You're excited, ecstatic and definitely wanting to be challenged by the Arcadians. They're looking for unique, spontaneous individuals. No Mary Sue's, those with no flaws etc. They're looking for different, diverse, distinct characters. Make your character unique, make them stand out from the crowd!

• Bear and Cheer control characters (NPCs, civilians, the King, royalty, people we meet through the adventure etc)
  • Please try to make your name and character etc in the time setting we are (Medieval Times), search online for names like that etc. The Quest of Arcadia 610897
  • Maximum 2 skills per character! The 2 skills have to relate to each other, you can't have potion making and sword fighting for example. Examples are Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc, be creative and think out of the box, it's not limited to these only.
  • For the class, you can be in a noble (wealthy) family, middle class family (merchants, tradesmen, men of letters, teachers, doctors etc), or urban workers/peasant/serf family.
Our Characters

Bear's Character
Spoiler:
Cheer's Character
Spoiler:

Character Form
Code:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age Group (Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder etc):[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Skill (Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc):[/b]
[b]What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual?[/b]
[b]Why do you want to step up to the challenge?[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Last edited by Bear on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 am; edited 4 times in total
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

The Quest of Arcadia Empty Re: The Quest of Arcadia

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:49 am

Name: Millicent Perrault
Age Group: Young Adult
Class: Merchant
Appearance: Long dark hair, generally kept in a braid. She wears dresses, but of a style chosen for its ease of movement.
Personality: Polite, but reserved. She loves reading tales of adventurers. She has a diplomatic way of presenting herself, so she generally avoids making enemies, but has no close friends.
Skill: Sword fighting, some languages, and embroidery.
What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual? Handy with a sword, to the surprise of many enemies who stick with archaic gender roles.
Why do you want to step up to the challenge? She's learned to handle a sword well, but has yet to have real opportunity to use it. Even if she finally agrees to her mother's suggestions that she marry and settle down, she wants to get in one proper adventure before she does.
Other:Millicent's grandfather had a successful business, selling supplies to the local farmers and expanding to the nearby city, offering rare items purchased from traders passing through the area. Her father, an only child, was expected to take over the family business -- regardless of what he personally desired. To his annoyance, he was good at it, and the stores thrived. But he decided that when he had children, he would support them in whatever path they wished to take. So when his eldest daughter declared she wanted to learn to use a sword, he simply smiled and gave her her older brother's old practice sword.

Her mother, wanting her daughter to still have a chance of marrying well, insisted she keep up her education -- learning accounting, so she might help her husband with his business, languages, so she could communicate with traders from other lands, and etiquette, so she wouldn't be as crude as the average knight was permitted to be. She took to embroidery well, to her mother's surprise -- working with a sharp piece of metal is very satisfying to her, in any form.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Daize Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Name:Anastasia Dreed
Age Group (Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder etc):Teenager
Class:Peasant
Appearance:Dark black hair, with split ends, goes down her back. Has very big black eyes, and a small pointed nose. Sort of fat lips, which are naturally pinkish. Never wears makeup, and usually wears old and overused clothes, that are barely in shape. Not too tall, about 5'6" and very slim.
Personality:Rough and tough, since her life has been that way. She doesn't trust others, and doesn't believe what they say. But she is also caring, since she had to take care of her whole family, on her own. Always ready for a fight, and always stays strong but normally cries herself to sleep. Never really happy, but doesn't show her sadness in public, and stays neutral with her family.
Skill (Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc):Hunting and fishing. Has a good hand for sword fighting and archery also.
What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual?Good in many fields, not afraid of anything, always stays strong, and does not let anyone take her off guard. Takes care of everyone in her family.
Why do you want to step up to the challenge?So she could bring her family some money and luxuries, and to show her skill and hopefully land a job in the kingdom.
Other:Taught herself to read and write, by sneaking into schools. Often sings a tune which calms her down. She often tries making herself look more presentable, because she secretly wishes she was as beautiful/graceful as all the noble girls.
Daize
Daize
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Name: Paige Griffin
Age Group (Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder etc): Teenager
Class: Noble
Appearance: Has dark black hair which is pin straight. She wears it down, sometimes with a clip to pin up her bangs. She has soft green eyes and pale white skin. She is 5'8". She usually wears dresses in soft colors.
Personality: Stubborn and likes to brag. But is trustworthy and sweet. She's graceful and very gentle. She can be disrespectful at times, and usually speaks her mind. Will not lie.
Skill (Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc): She's very good with clothes-making, very good at sewing, knitting, anything that has to do with clothes. Usually makes her own dresses. Has a very steady hand, and so is good at archery.
What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual? She is very good at taking out compromises. Her family feuds are usually settled by her, she is a very good listener.
Why do you want to step up to the challenge? She wants to do something on her own. Her father has always provided her with everything, and so she wants to do something to make him proud. Also, she wants to prove that women can do anything they wish to.
Other: Lives with her mother and father, and is an only child. Her father is an advisor to the King, and so he is payed handsomely. She's a little spoiled due to being an only child. Her parents do not support her ambition of being adventurous, and hardly let her out except for school. Has many friends, and is very friendly. Is okay at studying.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by JLBABV Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Name: Melisende "Amalric" de Roqueford
Age Group (Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder etc): Older Teenager (18)
Class: Peasant; outcast
Appearance: She has short brown hair, cut in a boy-ish fashion, brown eyes, and tanned skin, which is usually a little bit muddy from living in the forest. She wears boy's clothes, since that is all that is available.
Personality: Very tom-boyish, but that was inevitable, having no female influence through her developing years. She has a hard time trusting people, but with her background, can you blame her? Once you gain her trust though, she is loyal, another trait which she has picked up from living with the outcasts.
Skill (Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc): She is a skilled horse-rider and is the best archer in the forest.
What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual?At first glance, Melisende looks like a scruffy teenage boy who has lived on his own for many years, when infact, he is a girl. This is confusing, so I'll explain more. Melisende was abandoned in the forest near Arcadia by her mother when she was just a baby. She was found by a group of outcasts, why they are outcasts is unknown, but they brought her up as if she were their own daughter. These outcasts are all men, so their masculine behaviour has impacted Melisende, hence the male name which she goes by, Amalric. She is quite skilled, and knows the out-doors, having lived outdoors for her entire life.
Why do you want to step up to the challenge? Melisende, who I shall refer to from now on as Amalric, heard the proclaimation of the adventure when she was waiting outside of the town for the time when the outcasts can collect the scraps of food left by the town-folk, as well as fresh water from the well. She heard the proclaimation and immediately rushed to find her family (the outcasts). Being quite skilled, she decided this would be the perfect opportunity to prove to the townfolk that the outcasts are people too.
Other: Not much, but I apologise for the confusing character The Quest of Arcadia 1107968042 hopefully you'll get used to her!

Last edited by JLBABV on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
JLBABV
JLBABV
Official Photographer

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:55 am

Name:Celeste Loon
Age Group (Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder etc):Teen
Class:College/1st year
Appearance:Curly, medium, thick, brown, hair w/ blonde highlights.Peach,green eyes.5'4 weighs 104.
Personality: Very powerful,never gives up if her friends need help you can count on her!
Skill (Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc): Wizardy
What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual?
Why do you want to step up to the challenge?She wants to work on her own,her dad is in deep trouble while he was trying to make a new spell,she doesn't want anyone to help her.I want to find the potion to help wrong spells,if it's possible.
Other:She has been a wizard since she was seven.
Anita
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:38 am

JLBABV wrote:Class: Lowest of all, outcast.

OOC: Do you mean to say you're a peasant? Examples of classes are:
For the class, you can be in a noble (wealthy) family, middle class family (merchants, tradesmen, men of letters, teachers, doctors etc), or urban workers/peasant/serf family.

Instead, could you please edit your character form instead of replying to my post, to prevent more side chat?
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:41 am

Anita wrote:Class:College/1st year

By classes, we don't mean for school, like what class you are in, in society. You could be a noble, middle class, peasant etc.

Please edit your character form instead of replying to my post to prevent side chat. Thank-you. The Quest of Arcadia 465488
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 am

The RP will start on Thursday, we just need a bit more people. Please do not chat in this thread, unless you have a question that hasn't been already answered above in the main post.
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by cyrus2hip594 Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 am

Name:Claire Langesley
Age Group (Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder etc):Teen
Class:Pesent
Appearance:Long red/brown hair with cloth dress that is torn
Personality: Dislikes being a servant but can't figure out how to escape. Very nice and kind but is treated badly.
Skill (Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc): Always had a knack in wizardry/ potion making
What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual?I was one of the few servents who had the bravery to try to escape.
Why do you want to step up to the
challenge?
I want to show my owner that I am greater than just a pesent
Other: Has a scar on the sider of her cheek from when she was a baby

Last edited by cyrus2hip594 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrus2hip594
cyrus2hip594
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinatormanic Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 am

Name: Marrie Fay
Age Group (Child, Teen, Young Adult, Adult, Elder etc): Elder
Class: Peasant
Appearance: Raggy, wrinkly, crooked nose, she is tan and wears a turban to block out the sun.
Personality: Very kind and helps people in need no matter what.
Skill (Wizardry, Potion Making, Fishing, Sword Fighting etc): Potion Making
What sets you off from the crowd? How are you a unique individual? Everyone is scared of her because of her potion. It is witchlike and they don't like it. It's actually good because the herbs help her survive and travelers too. They do not understand her, even though she is nice.
Why do you want to step up to the challenge? She wants everyone to know she is a good person and be known to help people. Not scaring kids away.
Other: She has no family, she's alone.

Last edited by muffinatormanic on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
muffinatormanic
muffinatormanic
Forum Assist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks for putting in your characters forms. ^

Like said before, we'll be starting tomorrow (Thursday)! Those who haven't posted their character forms, please do :-) Plus, we're not only looking for females, males are welcome too. Even if you're not a male in real life, it's RP, it's all fiction. The Quest of Arcadia 1107968042
Bear
Bear
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheer Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:39 am

So, I'm working on the intro atm, but I can't really go any further. Your characters need full names.
Jessie, your character needs a last name. Cyrus, your character needs a last name, too. And Muffin, your character doesn't have a name.
As soon as you guys get your character names posted, we can start ^^
Just edit your character forms, there's no need to post~
I'll keep checking back, and as soon as it's fixed, we can start C:
Cheer
Cheer
Events Planner/Superstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheer Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:07 am

I walked carefully along the stone pathway. Today the king of Arcadia was going to announce who was chosen to go on the journey. The journey of what, I had no idea. All the king said was that it was something very, very special, and only a few chosen people would be selected.
I arrived just in time. A crowd was beginning to form around the stage the king was standing atop. After a few more minutes, the king began to speak:
"Greetings, people of Arcadia. The chosen for a great journey will be announced very, very soon. For this journey, only the most skilled, the most clever people will be chosen. This quest is nothing to take lightly. For all of Arcadia is depending on these chosen ones. As I call your name, please, step on stage."
"Genevieve Aragon."
"Anastasia Dreed."
"Marrie Fay."
"Paige Griffin."
"Claire Langesley."
"Celeste Loon."
"Millicent Perrault."
"Aura Regan."
"Melisende de Roqueford."
"We wish these ladies the best of luck on their journey."
Then to us, the king said: "Your journey will start tomorrow, before the sun rises. Meet here for further information, we cannot let the townspeople know just anything. Don't say a word." Then he bowed, and walked off stage, us following in a line.
Cheer
Cheer
Events Planner/Superstar

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:28 am

Millicent hid her smile behind an expression of refined dignity as she stood on the stage; she had been among the chosen! As an added benefit, all the members of the quest were women. She knew all too well that many men outside her family could not understand her preference for the blade; she smiled and caressed the leather sheath which held her new sword, a lovely piece of damascus steel her father had presented her as a reward for completing her training.

She also knew that not every woman approved of her unladylike interest. But they had all signed up for the quest as well . . .

She remained cautiously optimistic, casting a careful glance at the others while following them off the stage.

Knowing to heed her king's wishes but respect her family, she would only reveal that she had been accepted for the quest and would leave the following day. They would worry if she didn't reveal as much.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by JLBABV Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:33 am

I could scarcely believe my ears when i heard my name called out! I wore the only dress i had, one of our theatrical ones, for when we perform for the king on his birthday. I dunno why we do, tradition i guess! I wore a wig made from my own hair which i cut at the age of 7. At least i look likke a melisende now! Not amalric, as I'm known as in the forest.
JLBABV
JLBABV
Official Photographer

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:20 pm

My heart skipped a beat as our King pronounced my name, " Paige Griffin, " the words echoed in my mind. I walked slowly up the stage, standing along with the other girls. This quest was going to prove it all. That I'm not only made of my Dad's money. The King knew me well, the daughter of his advisor. He seemed surprised. My parents knew nothing about this. I clutched my bow tightly in my hand, and walked along with the other girls.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Daize Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:46 pm

I walk on the stage, glancing at the King. He gave me a kind smile, and I couldn't return one so sweet.
I crack my knuckles as I examine the other contestants. They were all women. Easy. I think. The King speaks a few kind words, and I notice my mother in the back of the crowd. Sad and broken. She gives me a weak smile, and I feel a pain in my heart. The future of my family depends on this, and I needed to defeat all these girls.
It wouldn't be so hard, considering they were mostly all fragile and girly.
The King then speaks a few words, and to us says
"Your journey will start tomorrow, before the sun rises. Meet here for further information, we cannot let the townspeople know just anything. Don't say a word." He bowed, some nobles bowed back, and he walked off stage, us following in a line.

Last edited by Daize on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daize
Daize
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by JLBABV Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:13 pm

((Daisy my character isn't fragile and girly! Mines as close to a male as can be possible!))

I squinted in an attempt to see my "father". Robert is not my real father, i have never met him or my mother, but he is the outcast who found me and he raised me as his own son.I couldn't see him so i concluded he was in the forest. Melisende de Roqueford. The name embroidered on the cloth which I was abandoned in. I didn't care for the money, we outcasts have managed to scrape together a simple but pleasant lifestyle. Any drinking water i get from the well in the town square, we bathe in the river. We fish with basic spears and hunt with bow and arrow. We have one horse, Courage, who was given to us from an eastern merchant. He is useful for travelling long distances, though we walk most places. We gather mushrooms, herbs, fruit and vegetables, although Baldwin, one of the outcasts, has a small vegetable patch where he grows food for us. We make and mend our clothes, every five years, a merchant comes and sells us some new cloth, which we buy with the small money we get from the kings Event organiser, who pay us for our theatrical performances. This, when collecting water and night time are the only times we outcasts are allowed in town. I don't think anybody recognises me. I do have this wig and a dress on though, I look so silly and girly! When we begin our quest, I shall wear my favorite tunic, the green one! With my leather shoes and brown trousers. Then i shall truly be me! Amalric of the Forest!
JLBABV
JLBABV
Official Photographer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 am

Millicent left the palace grounds and walked swiftly toward her family's house. Greeting the others could wait; they had the whole journey to get to know each other. For now, she had to inform her family and prepare.

Finally letting her excitement out as she entered her home, Millicent greeted her family with a wide smile. "I've been chosen! We leave tomorrow morn, before dawn."

Her father laughed heartily and swept her up in a warm hug. "Wonderful! My daughter, an adventurer for the king himself. And they said I was a fool to let you learn the blade . . . make us proud, my darling girl. And pack well, we don't know how long you might be gone."

She began to plan, even as she received her brothers' congratulations (some a bit reluctant, as she hadn't been the only one of them to sign up). Finally, she retreated to the room she shared with her sisters.

Millicent fetched her leather satchel and began to pack. Her copy of The Faerie Queene -- her most valuable possession, as books were hard to come by. Some old strips of cloth; you never knew when improvised bandages would be needed. A week's worth of rations, of the variety that she knew traders chose because they traveled well. A bit of money, just in case. Two candles. Her cup; a suitable stream would likely be found. Her hair brush. A needle and spool of thread, in case repairs were needed. A pair of kidskin gloves. A few extra pairs of socks -- she would need them if they were hiking. A spare dress. A wrap, in case the nights grew cold. Finally, she strapped a bedroll to the pack. It might add a bit of extra weight, but it would make any night they needed to spend on the cold ground that much easier.

She set out her best leather boots -- not her fanciest by any stretch, but a sturdy pair she found to be comfortable and light enough during her fencing lessons. Her favorite travelling cloak, thick green wool with a hood that kept the rain away. Her newest dress, a plain linen tunic dress, was a point of pride -- she had embroidered the pattern of vines and swords around the sleeves, neck, and hem herself. She hoped her attire would prove suitable for the journey.
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by AleciaAutumn10 Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:26 pm

I walked home, feeling a bit guilty for lying to my parents. I knew that I still couldn't tell them. I greeted my mom with a hello and a kiss on the cheek.

" What have you been up to? " she asked, making sure I wasn't getting into trouble.

" Err, nothing. Just went out for a stroll, " I assured, with a smile. I rushed upstairs before she could ask anymore questions. I ran to my room and took out my suitcase, the one we used for traveling. I looked through my million of dresses, and picked the best 5. I packed a few needles and thread, just in case. I packed a lot of food, don't know when I would find some, a coat, a blanket, an extra pair of my never-used hiking boots, and a picture of my mom and dad. I knew I'd miss them. I then sat down and started writing the long letter that they would read first thing in the morning.
AleciaAutumn10
AleciaAutumn10
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Daize Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:50 pm

I run home, smiling to myself, hoping my mother didn't reach home first. Even though that was unlikely, I run faster, as if I were running from a predator.
Through the town, the medium sized houses, and the big ones, even through the kind of small ones, until I reach the edge of the town, near the forest.
A small, light brown cottage, with two windows on the side, and a roof with a hole, awaits me. Near the cottage, there are weeds and dandelions, and I make a mental note to pick them soon.
Creak squeaks the door, as I walk in, panting from the long run. All six faces look up at me anxiously. I smile wide, and they get the idea.
"Hurray! Anna!" say the five year old twins, Patrick and Patricia in unison, as they start dancing around the cottage. I fake laugh, and search for my mother. She wasn't home yet. Maybe I should have waited...
"Good job Anna," and "Make us proud!" filled the room. My grandmother, grandfather, father, brother, and eventually my mother say. I hug everyone, and we feast on berries and goat cheese.
Although I didn't show it, fear churned inside of me. I said my goodbyes that night, and instructed my brother on how to get food for the day.
He couldn't hunt but they would have to make do while I was gone.
Dawn was only a few hours away, and as I lie on my uncomfortable bed made of hay, I think of what will happen the next morning.
Daize
Daize
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinatormanic Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 am

I was at town square. I was scared. When the king called my name, it was like magic. I had been chosen on a journey?
That's complete madness.
No one of the public would know? How was that possible. I was sure someone would have spoke of the secret. Oh well, everyone was sure to listen to the king and queen of course! Who wouldn't. I couldn't tell anyone of my accomplishment, mother and father were no longer alive and I had no brothers and sisters.
Think Positive! I told myself. Think positive..
muffinatormanic
muffinatormanic
Forum Assist

Back to top Go down

Post by JLBABV Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 pm

I returned to the forest and seeked Robert. I saw him under a tree, reading. He is the only one of us, aside from Godfrey the Brainy, who can read, as he was taught by an old merchant who used to pass through when Robert was a boy. "Father!" I said, calling out to him. He looked up and smiled, his stubbly cheeks emphasizing his happy grin. "Amalric!" He said, standing up and opening his arms wide as I jumped into them for a hug. "Where have you been?" He asked me, ruffling my cropped hair, I had removed the wig and put it back in the dress up trunk. I had also found a tunic of mine and changed out of the dress which I wore. I had returned that to the trunk too. "Remember how I heard the announcement for people to go on a quest?" I said. My father looked down at me, his eyebrow raised. "Yes..." He said slowly. "Well I signed up for it! And they chose me!" I said, excitement bubbling over. He looked dazed. "Father? Are you alright?" I asked him. "Amalric... you know we aren't allowed into the town square when there are people around! You could have been recognised, and the penalty for outcasts integrating with the townfolk is death!" I folded my arms. "I know that! Duh!" I said. "I used my real name! And dressed as a girl!" He looked like his eyes were about to pop out. "You wore a gown?" He said, disbelief gripping his tone. I nodded. But since the adventure is taking place outside of the town I am allowed to dress myself! I questioned Godfrey on the matter and he studied the Arcadian Book of the Law. It is true father! The only laws against outcasts and townfolk mingling are inforced within the limits of the city! Which is why they can come to our forest but we cannot enter the town, except for our annual production and at night, or when nobody is around!" He sighed. "Why did you register?" He asked, sitting on a tree stump and pulling me onto his knee. "Because the people of Arcadia seem to think we outcasts are inferior! They think we are unintelligent and unable to learn useful things like archery and riding! I want to prove them wrong! We are not useless! We are people too!" He sighed. "Fair enough, my son." He said. "You may go on this quest, but if you fail, you must promise me, never to set foot in the town again! Even for our productions!" I nodded. "Yes father." This was when I realised exactly what was at stake!
JLBABV
JLBABV
Official Photographer

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyFlyer Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 pm

The morning the quest was to begin, Millicent's entire family rose early to see her off. Her father would usually do so anyway, to open the store and prepare for the day's business. Millicent sat quietly, twisting her hands in nervous anticipation, as her mother braided her hair. "I'd worry far more about your choice if you weren't traveling solely among female company . . . you'll be fit to chaperone each other, and I'll mind you to keep an eye on the younger ones who may not have your judgement."

Millicent's sisters, Malle and Meggy, were torn by holding back yawns and staring in curiosity. The twins, several years younger than Millicent, had never understood her 'unladylike' interests, but the concept of an adventure held much potential. "Do you think you'll meet a handsome prince?" Malle asked.

"Yes! He'll ask to marry you and you'll live in a palace and never need to touch a sword again." Meggy chimed in.

Piers, the second in line and closest to Millicent in age, laughed at this. "She'd be as likely to meet a knight who wished her to fight by his side."

Nikola, the eldest, shook his head. "Either way, you need to find someone. I don't know where I'd be without my Elena, and you're getting too old to be choosy."

Finally, her hair was neat, her bag at the ready, and only her goodbyes remaining. Her father approached her, holding out a small packet. "I picked this up from a caravan last year. It was fine enough that I considered using it for your betrothal gift . . . but I feel you would get more good out of it now."

She unwrapped it, revealing a silver ring brooch. Framed in the silver filigree were three small emeralds, the greenest shade she'd ever seen.

"Emerald is said to help travellers recover from the labors of their journey. Wear it, and it may aid you on your quest. Wear it well."

Millicent gasped. "Father, it's too precious --"

"Nothing is too precious for you. I know I'm not in the habit of showering you girls with trinkets like some of the other merchants in the area -- I've seen no need for more than signet rings, myself. But you'll be travelling among nobles. It's best to make a point that you're not simply one of the riff-raff." he finished, with a grin.

Nodding, she allowed her mother to fasten it to her under-dress, holding the neck slit closed.

Perfect.

She glanced out the window; the sun had yet to rise above the horizon. She took a deep breath, gave her final goodbyes to her family, and took up her satchel.

There was no going back now; the king was waiting for her.

[OOC: To clarify -- The gem does not actually have any abilities; this is just a superstition about emeralds from the era.

As a side note, I did what was possibly too much research into the type of jewelry Millicent might wear and got sidetracked to other issues of the era -- just how historically accurate are we going to make this?]
MollyFlyer
MollyFlyer
Guide Bear
Guide Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next