Bearville Guide Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Shrove Tuesday!

+14
kathybearycool
Lexi
Chanel4leafclover60
colinpink
❤Crystal❤
Ashelyadventurebear426
anitacocoa
JeannaBearFun
mindynature
Cranberry
Test
CarlyAllHeart261
haileybighugs2
Admin
18 posters

Go down

It's Shrove Tuesday! Empty It's Shrove Tuesday!

Post by Admin Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:34 am

February 16th is this year's Shrove Tuesday or as a lot more people know it - Pancake Day!
Ted the Tailor is giving away pancakes to everyone in Build-A-Bearville to celebrate this event!

Check your Food List and take a bite!

It's Shrove Tuesday! 2h5quu0

Shrove Tuesday is the last day before what Christians call, "Lent". Throughout the United Kingdom and in other countries, people indulge themselves on foods that traditionally are not allowed during Lent. Pancakes are popular on this day because the main ingredients contain fat, butter and eggs, all of which are forbidden.

Ever wonder why it's called 'Shrove Tuesday'? The name shrove comes from the old word "shrive" which means to confess. In the Middle Ages, people used to confess their sins before the season of Lent began.

Here are other names for Shrove Tuesday:
  • In United Kingdom, Ireland, and Australia, they call it Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Day or Pancake Tuesday
  • In Brazil, it's Terça-feira gorda, which means Fat Tuesday - the final day of Brazilian Carnival
  • In Greece, it's Apocreas, which means "from the meat" (They don't eat meat during Lent!)
  • In Germany, Fastnacht and in Sweden, Fettisdagen, which both mean Fat Tuesday.
  • In Iceland, this day is known as Sprengidagur or Bursting day.
  • In France and USA, they call it Mardi Gras, which means Grease or Fat Tuesday!

Do you celebrate Shrove Tuesday? What's your favorite pancake? ☀
Admin
Admin
Founder/Owner
Founder/Owner

Back to top Go down

It's Shrove Tuesday! Empty Re: It's Shrove Tuesday!

Post by haileybighugs2 Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:36 am

Thanks Admin! I think I celebrate Shrove Tuesday, I myself do lent. It's Shrove Tuesday! 610897 . I do like pancakes, though. I like cinnamon pancakes lol yummm
Mardi Gras is fun!
haileybighugs2
Forum Assist/Graphic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlyAllHeart261 Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:43 am

Pancakes! It's Shrove Tuesday! 143839
I like Chocolate Chip pancakes. Yum lol
I think I celebrate Mardi Gras It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
CarlyAllHeart261
CarlyAllHeart261
Forum Assist/Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by Test Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 am

Yep! I had two BIG pancakes today! I felt quite full after... LOL It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488

What I did:

I put Caster Sugar, Lemon Juice and Toffee Sauce on it It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488 Very sweet indeed! It's Shrove Tuesday! 143839
Test
Test
Graphic Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Cranberry Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:18 am

I love pancakes, last year my class ate pancakes with chocolate, strawberry, lemon and honey sauce (Not all together though.) I always do Lent. It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
Cranberry
Cranberry
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by mindynature Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 am

I like chocolate chip pancakes! yummy
mindynature
mindynature
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by JeannaBearFun Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:30 am

Happy Pancakes day It's Shrove Tuesday! 1107968042 when i firgured it was Shrove Tuesday, I was like "Man, I should have had pancakes!!!" i had french toast It's Shrove Tuesday! Icon_razz

I need to get that!
JeannaBearFun
JeannaBearFun
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by anitacocoa Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 am

yummyyy its shrove tuesday It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488 i do celebrate it It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488 i ate 3 pancakes today hehe....with my friends....they where so good It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488 thanks for the news It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
anitacocoa
anitacocoa
Associate Bear
Associate Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashelyadventurebear426 Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 am

Mmmm Pancakes..........I like Cinnamon Pancakes the best. XD Happy Pancake Day Everyone!!!
Ashelyadventurebear426
Ashelyadventurebear426
Friendly Bear
Friendly Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by ❤Crystal❤ Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Hmm....... I It's Shrove Tuesday! 2669863388 pancakes. It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488 I like chocolate chip pancakes the best.
❤Crystal❤
❤Crystal❤
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by colinpink Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Very interesting It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488 I am smarter than yesterday because of Admin It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
colinpink
colinpink
Officer/Zoo Keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Chanel4leafclover60 Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 pm

I have never celebrated 'Pancake Day' before! My family always celebrates lent, though! I have to eat/do all the things that I am giving up! Maybe we'll start this delicious tradition tomorrow, as I love chocolate-chip pancakes and one of the things that I'm giving up is chocolate!
One of my teachers is from New Orleans, so he celebrates Mardi Gras! He told me about their parades and other traditions, and taught me one of the songs they sing! Its quite colorful, too! I think that they also featured Mardi Gras in one of the Disney princess movies?
Chanel4leafclover60
Chanel4leafclover60
Helpful Bear
Helpful Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:44 pm

What a nice teacher you have, Chanel! Thanks for sharing the information with us!

I've done a little research and I think the song that you're referring to is Iko Iko. It's a famous Mardi Gras song that a lot of popular artists (like Aaron Carter) have sung before. I'm pretty sure its this one though as Sebastian from The Little Mermaid (one of the original Disney Princesses) has a list of songs about Mardi Gras in his soundtrack, Sebastian: Party Gras and Iko Iko is part of that list!

Speaking of Disney movies and princesses, did you know that the latest Disney Princess movie, "The Princess and the Frog" is about a young from New Orleans? It's a wonderful tale and it shows the richness of New Orleans and Cajun living! So why don't you check it out with your family? I'm sure everyone will enjoy this new Disney movie! It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
Lexi
Lexi
Chief Officer/Book Critic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:58 pm

RoRo wrote:What a nice teacher you have, Chanel! Thanks for sharing the information with us!

I think the song that you're referring to is Iko Iko. It's a famous Mardi Gras song that a lot of popular artists (like Aaron Carter) have sung before. I'm pretty sure its this one though as Sebastian from The Little Mermaid (one of the original Disney Princesses) has a list of songs about Mardi Gras in his soundtrack, Sebastian: Party Gras and Iko Iko is part of that list!

Speaking of Disney movies and princesses, did you know that the latest Disney Princess movie, "The Princess and the Frog" is about a young girl from New Orleans? It's a wonderful tale and it shows the richness of New Orleans and Cajun living! So why don't you check it out with your family? I'm sure everyone will enjoy this new Disney movie! It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
Admin
Admin
Founder/Owner
Founder/Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kathybearycool Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Yum yum It's Shrove Tuesday! 143839
kathybearycool
kathybearycool
Jr Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlyAllHeart261 Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:47 am

colinpink wrote:Very interesting It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488 I am smarter than yesterday because of Admin It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
Me too! I didn't know a lot of the stuff untill he said it It's Shrove Tuesday! 465488
CarlyAllHeart261
CarlyAllHeart261
Forum Assist/Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by babvrocks1 Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:46 am

My favorite are chocolate chips with m and m there good. It's Shrove Tuesday! 523903
babvrocks1
babvrocks1
Novice Bear
Novice Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Noel Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:53 am

I celebrated Mardi Gras, at my school, the french club made crepes, instead of pancakes
Noel
Noel
BABV Events Planner

Back to top Go down

Post by aj2hip76004 Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 am

THANKS FOR TELLING..
aj2hip76004
aj2hip76004
Novice Bear
Novice Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueRocksforever1 Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:39 pm

I've always loved pancakes!
BlueRocksforever1
BlueRocksforever1
Friendly Bear
Friendly Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down